Catering Assistant Summer
We are looking for two summer catering assistants for our Centenary Summer - KISC's biggest year ever! The Catering Assistant works with the other members of the Catering Long Term Staff to manage the Short Term Staff and to provide meals for our guests and staff. The person is responsible to ensure the smooth running of the catering operations, including cleanliness and safety of the kitchen, the quality and timeliness of served meals and preparing and coordinating special meals for centenary events. If you have some cooking skills, are excited and able to manage and motivate an international team of volunteers, and would like to gain experience in running a kitchen, we look forward to your application.
- Needs to be at least 18 years old
- Is a member of an Association recognised by WOSM/WAGGGS
- Communicates well in written and spoken English
- Highly recommended to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with one of the vaccinations recognised by Switzerland
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to work within an international team of volunteers and lead/motivate a team of short term volunteers
- Ability to personally work well under pressure and within strict timelines
- Ability to support a team of international volunteers in a time pressured environment to meet deadlines and enjoy their work
- Affinity for customer service and guest contact
- Desire to make the guest experience of catering great
- Basic understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures
- Willingness to work according to a flexible schedule
- Has previously been a member of the staff team at KISC with experience in catering
- Passion for making and serving good food
- Certification in cooking/kitchen operation and/or management
- Experience in people management
- Ability to communicate in German
- Holds a driver’s licence
- Ensure a high standard of guest service at all times
- Prepare meals for guests and staff (including catering for special dietary requirements)
- Work within the hygiene standards set out by KISC
- Keep a high standard of cleanliness and tidiness of all work areas
- Take charge of shifts on a rotational basis with other members of the Catering Team
- Distribute food products ordered by guests
- Manage contact with food suppliers
- Work with other teams in all matters relating to food provision
- Work with the Programme team for delivery of Summer barbecues, hut food packages and other meals/food products connected with Programme
- Organise and prepare special meals for events at KISC
- Deal with any guest enquiries relating to the Centre
- Help where needed with Centenary events (e.g. Members weekend, Kander100)
- Run and develop staff training
- Assist in other areas of the Centre where necessary
- Involvement in the execution of the Centre’s Operational Plan
- Work and communicate effectively with all staff and guests
The position is part of the Catering team within the greater Guest Services team at KISC. The Catering team consists of the Hygiene Supervisor (permanent), one Catering Manager (12-month role), two Catering Assistants (12-month role) and two Summer Catering Assistants (4.5 months role).
The line manager for this position is the Guest Services Director or Catering Manager, with daily work coordinated by the Catering Manager. The Catering Assistant has weekly meetings with the line manager and the Catering team to cover operational matters, and also has regular one-on-one appraisals.
The Catering Assistant takes responsibility to be in charge of Catering shifts on a rotational basis with the other Catering Long Term Staff. The Catering Assistant fills in for the Catering Manager during their absence from the Centre.
The Catering team also work with Short Term Staff on a rotation basis with other teams in the Centre. Catering Long Term Staff take responsibility for all staff while working in the kitchen.
- Accident Insurance (provided by the Centre): Everyone is insured for accidents, both work and non-work related over the duration of the contract.
- Private Liability Insurance (provided by the Centre): This insurance covers any damage caused by any staff on an object or person.
- Sickness Insurance (provided by the Centre): All LTS will get private sickness insurance if necessary. The deductible (amount each LTS has to cover per calendar year themselves) is, if nothing else mentioned, CHF 300.-. This insurance covers any treatment due to sickness.
- Social Insurance according to the Swiss Law (provided by the Centre): Every LTS must have Social Insurance according to the Swiss regulations. This includes invalidity insurance, maternity leave and old-age and survivors' insurance (OASI). More information will be given during training.
- A room in one of the shared flats in Kandersteg
- All meals at the Centre, both while at work and on days off
- 2 days off per week
- 400 CHF Pocket money per month
- Management and leadership training
- Administration of work permits
- Other benefits as detailed here on our website
- Citizens of EU/EFTA countries do not need a visa, and the Centre secures the necessary work permit.
- For citizens of non EU/EFTA countries who have not been Staff at KISC before and are selected for the position, KISC will apply for a 4-month visa, for a 4-month contract maximum. The applicant needs to be under 35 years old for the whole duration of the contract.
- For citizens of non EU/EFTA countries who have been Short Term or Long Term Staff at KISC before, unfortunately it is highly unlikely to obtain a work permit/visa even for a 4 month period.
- The employment is dependent on securing the necessary special permission from the Swiss authorities.