Snow & Ice Challenge
Hike to the Fründen Hut and take part in the Glacier Workshop. Stay at the Hut overnight and then participate in either a Climbing Workshop or further travel on the glacier.
This is only a guide. Times will change according to the weather and the group’s ability.
|Meet your guide in front of the Chalet, equipment check||07:30|
|Take the gondola up and walk to Frunden Hut||08:30|
|Lunch at the hut||12:00|
|Safety briefing and equipment fitting||12:30|
|Walk down to the glacier, begin activities on the ice||13:00|
|Crevasse rescue training||15:00|
|Walk back to the hut||16:30|
|Put away equipment||17:00|
|Dinner and briefing for day two||18:30|
|Breakfast and prepare to go back onto the glacier||07:00|
|Walk down to the glacier, put crampons on and rope up||08:00|
|More glacier activities, possibly including ice climbing||08:30|
|Rope up and walk back to the hut||12:00|
|Pack up all equipment and have lunch||12:15|
|Walk back to Oeschinensee||13:00|
|Take the gondola down and walk back to KISC||16:15|
|Arrive back to the Centre||17:00|
Price Adult: CHF 200.00
Price Child: CHF 200.00
Price includes: KISC Guide for the duration of the trip and a qualified Swiss Mountain Guide whilst on the glacier, climbing equipment, overnight at the Hut with dinner and breakfast, return cable car.
Price does not include: Packed lunch
- Less than 7 days before activity: fee of 50% of the price per person
- Less than 48 hours in advance: Non refundable
- This hike is not available on Saturdays or Sundays
- A leader or responsible person over 18 years old must be present as part of the group
- A sheet sleeping bag liner is required for the overnight. If you do not have one then you can rent a sleeping bag liner from Reception for a CHF 3.00 fee and CHF 50.00 deposit.
- There is no potable water at Frunden Hut. One liter of hut tea per person will be provided with breakfast on day 2.
- Food and drinks (snacks and traditional Swiss lunch) are available for purchase at Frunden Hut.
- Hot chocolate is provided with breakfast at Frunden Hut. Coffee is available for purchase.
- Plan to have enough sleep the night before the activity.
- Rucksack - lightweight and water resistant
- Hiking boots with ankle support (no trainers)
- Waterproof jacket waterproof trousers
- Water bottle (minimum 2 litres)
- Warm clothing (long trousers and fleece, no jeans)
- Sun protection (hat, sun cream and sunglasses)
- Warm hat
- Personal medication (asthma inhalers, etc)
- Packed food
- Pocket money (optional)
- Sheet sleeping bag liner
- Complete first aid kit
By completing this activity, you can get closer to achieving the following Awards and Badges:
- High Adventure Award
- KISC Challenge Award
- Swiss Explorer
- Hüttentest: Fründen Hut