Overnight Lötschenpass Hut
For this one day hike, take the bus from Kandersteg along the Gastern Valley, where the hike begins. The hike starts off steeply up the valley side, passing Gfellalp Hut and the Lötschen glacier: a spectacular introduction to glacier walking. From the Glacier, you continue further to the Lötschenpasshütte (2’690 m). Soak up the evening scenery and enjoy the night at the hut. The next day, hike down the beautiful Lötschental Valley where you will catch a bus and a train to bring you back to Kandersteg.
This is only a guide. Times might change according to the weather and the group’s ability.
|Have the equipment ready, and prepare to leave||08:30|
|Leave the Chalet and hike up into the Gastern valley||09:00|
|Arrive in Selden and eat lunch||12:00|
|Arrive at Lötschenpasshütte and begin relaxing||16:30|
|Wake up, clean and eat breakfast||07:00|
|Leave the Hut||08:00|
|Arrive in Ferden and catch the bus to Goppenstein||11:00|
|Take the train through the Lötschberg tunnel||12:02|
|Arrive in Kandersteg, and walk back to Centre||12:13|
- Price adult: CHF 53.00 ( CHF 75.00 Saturday price)
- Price child: CHF 53.00 ( CHF 75.00 Saturday price)
Price includes: overnight at the Lötschenpass hut, dinner, breakfast the next day. Guest cancellation policy can be found here.
Taking the bus is recommended. Bus tickets can be booked through the online form under the name "Bus to Selden". More information about the bus can be found here.
- Price adult: CHF 12.50 (single ticket)
- Price child: CHF 8.50 (single ticket)
Guest Cancellation: the guest cancellation policy for the bus can be found here.
Tickets for the bus and train from Ferden to Kandersteg can only be bougt from the bus driver in Ferden.
- Price adult: CHF 14.00
- Price child: CHF 7.00
- You need to fill in the route card at reception, before your departure.
- Please check at reception for the route conditions as they are reviewed regularly.
- Leaflets containing more information on the exact route can be found in reception.
- There is no fresh drinking water available at the hut.
- It is important that you take all of your rubbish with you back to KISC.
- The Lötschenpass hut supplies all bedding, but you can take your own sleeping bags/sleeping bag liners if you would prefer.
- Rucksack - 20 to 40 litres
- Hiking boots with ankle support (no trainers)
- Waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers
- Warm clothing - long trousers, fleece, warm hat and gloves (no jeans)
- Sun protection - sun cream, sunglasses, sun hat
- Water bottle - 2 litres
- Food - packed lunch and snacks
- Personal medication (asthma inhalers, etc.)
- Pocket money (optional)
- First aid kit
- Hiking map, compass and whistle
- Mobile phone
Extra equipment for overnight activities:
- Sleeping bag
- Food - dinner and breakfast
You can get closer to achieving the following awards and badges, by completing this activity:
- Eco Award
- High Adventure Award
- Swiss Explorer Award
- KISC Challenge Award
More information about the awards and badges can be found here.