Overnight Gfellalp Hut Hike
This hike leaves the Centre at lunchtime, taking the bus to the small village of Selden in the Gastern valley. From here, venture up to the top of the valley, and up towards our hut, Gfellalp, in time for dinner. This is a perfect spot for stargazing, or simply enjoying a nice campfire outside! The hike down in the morning takes in the rest of the spectacular Gasterntal valley, descending through a gorge with incredible views across Kandersteg and down the Kander Valley.
This is only a guide. Times might change according to the weather and the group’s ability.
|Meet the guide and prepare to leave||12:30|
|Take the bus to Gasterntal||12:50|
|Arrive at Selden and begin the hike to Heimritz||13:15|
|Arrive at bridge beyond Heimritz. Begin walk back down the other side of the river and then up the Bergweg to Gfellalp||15:00|
|Arrive at the hut||18:00|
|Wake up, eat breakfast and clean the hut||08:00|
|Start hiking down to Selden and back to the centre||09:30|
|Arrive back at the Centre||14:00|
Price Adult: CHF 40.00
Price Child: CHF 40.00
Price includes: Overnight in Gfelalp hut
Price does not include: Bus to selden (this must be booked in advance), Meals
Less than 7 days before activity: fee of 50% of the price per person
Less than 48 hours in advance: Non refundable
This hike is not available to start on Saturdays.
A leader or responsible person over 18 years old must be present as part of the group.
Don’t forget to plan your meals. If you want meals provided by KISC you need to book them separately. We advise to book a hut food package that includes dinner on the first day and breakfast on the second day. For the lunch on the second day, you can book packed lunch which is prepared by your group on the morning of the first day.
- There is a kitchen at the hut available to use for all groups staying there. This includeds two stoves (one wood burning and one gas), access to fresh water, cooking utensiles, plates, cups, cutlery, oil and spices.
When cooking your dinner at the hut, please remember to cook for your Pinkie guide too.
Please help us to take care of our huts for future groups by cleaning the hut before you leave, and recycling as you would do at the centre. Your Pinkie Guide will be on hand to answer any questions you have about this.
In high season it may be necessary to share rooms with another group.
- A sheet sleeping bag liner is required for the overnight. If you do not have one then you can rent a sleeping bag liner from Reception for a CHF 3.00 fee and CHF 50.00 deposit.
- Comfortable rucksack
- Boots with ankle support (no trainers)
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Water bottle (minimum 1 litre, 2 litres in hot weather)
- Warm clothing (long trousers, fleece, no jeans)
- Sun hat and a warm hat
- Personal medication if needed
- Sun cream
- Sun glasses
- Packed food
- Sheet sleeping bag liner (not a regular sleeping bag)
- Pocket money (optional)
By completing this activity, you can get closer to achieving the following Awards and Badges: