Gfellalp Hut Hike & Climb
Enjoy the breathtaking views from Gfellalp Hut. On the first day, pass the hut and spend the afternoon climbing in our designated area. On the second day, enjoy hiking through the beautiful Gasterntal valley and arrive back to the Centre in time for dinner.
This is only a guide. Times might change according to the weather and the group’s ability.
|Meet your guide at the Centre and prepare to leave||8:30|
|Leave the chalet and take the Gasterntal bus to Selden||8:50|
|Arrive in Selden and begin the hike to Gfellalp||9:15|
|Arrive at Gfellalp and leave the overnight equipment at the hut||10:00|
|Begin the hike to Gfellalp hiking area||10:15|
|Arrive at the climbing area and begin rope climbing (intermediate)||10:45|
|Resume climbing (intermediate)||13:00|
|Finish climbing and pack away equipment||16:30|
|Hike back to the hut for dinner||17:00|
|Wake up, eat breakfast and clean the hut||8:00|
|Start hiking down to Selden||9:30|
|Arrive at Selden and begin the hike to end of the valley towards Heimritz||10:00|
|Arrive at the bridge beyond Heimritz for lunch||12:00|
|Begin walking back down to the other side of the river to KISC||12:30|
|Arrive back to KISC||17:00|
Please note that there are two time versions for this activity. The difference is that on the first day instead of taking the bus to Selden you hike there, and do the climbing workshop (intermediate level) the next day and afterwards take the bus from Selden to Kandersteg. Our guides will try to suggest you the most suitable version for your group.
- Price adult (16+): CHF 52.00
- Price child (15-): CHF 52.00
Price includes: KISC guide, climbing equipment, overnight at the Gfellalp Hut
- Less than 7 days before activity: fee of 50% of the price per person
- Less than 48 hours in advance: non-refundable
This activity is not available to start on Saturdays and Sundays.
A leader or responsible person over 18 years old must be present as part of the group.
The level of the climbing session is intermediate, please keep that in mind and prepare your group accordingly.
Don’t forget to plan your meals. If you want meals provided by KISC you need to book them separately. We advise to book a packed lunch for the first day (prepared in the morning), and a hut food package that includes dinner on the first day and breakfast on the second day. For the lunch on the second day, you can book packed lunch which is also prepared by your group on the morning of the first day.
- There is a kitchen at the hut available to use for all groups staying there. This includes two stoves (one wood burning and one gas), access to fresh water, cooking utensiles, plates, cups, cutlery, oil and spices.
When cooking your dinner at the hut, please remember to cook for your Pinkie guide too; they will provide their own lunches and breakfast.
Please help us to take care of our huts for future groups by cleaning the hut before you leave, and recycling as you would do at the centre. Your Pinkie guide will be on hand to answer any questions you have about this.
In high season it may be necessary to share rooms with another group. The hut has three different accommodation options - 21 beds, 16 beds and 6 beds. Beds are not allocated in advance so allocation needs to be decided by groups upon arrival.
- A sheet sleeping bag liner is required for the overnight. If you do not have one then you can rent a sleeping bag liner from Reception for a CHF 3.00 fee and CHF 50.00 deposit (subject to availability).
All participants must have everything on the list. If a participant does not have all of the required items, they will not be able to join the activity.
- Rucksack - 20 to 40 litres
- Hiking boots with ankle support (no trainers)
- Waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers
- Warm clothing - long trousers, fleece, warm hat and gloves (no jeans)
- Sun protection - sun cream, sunglasses, sun hat
- Water bottle - 2 litres
- Food - packed lunch and snacks
- Personal medication (asthma inhalers, etc.)
- Pocket money (optional)
Extra equipment for overnight activities:
- Sheet sleeping bag liner (not a regular sleeping bag)
- Food - dinner and breakfast