Take the bus to Selden, a steep mountain road which in itself is a fun adventure! From there, head further up the valley where you can enjoy views of Kandersteg’s snow-capped peaks and ancient glaciers. The rest of the day is a leisurely cruise downhill to the Centre.
This is only a guide. Times might change according to the weather and the group’s ability.
|08:30||Check equipment, and prepare to leave|
|08:50||Take a bus up to Selden at the upper part of Gasterntal|
|09:30||Start hiking up following Kander left bank. Stop in Heimritz and continue until the bridge at 1'724 m.|
|11:00||Start hiking back to Selden through Tangelwald (right Kander ban|
|12:00||Arrive back to Selden and have lunch|
|13:00||Hike down to Kandersteg. Stop in at Swiss mountain restaurant Waldhus|
|17:00||Arrive back to KISC|
Taking the bus is recommended. Bus tickets can be booked through the online form under the name "Bus to Selden". More information about the bus can be found here.
- Price adult: CHF 12.50 (single ticket)
- Price child: CHF 8.50 (single ticket)
Guest Cancellation: the guest cancellation policy for the bus can be found here.
- You need to fill in the route card at reception, before your departure.
- Please check at reception for the route conditions as they are reviewed regularly.
- Leaflets containing more information on the exact route can be found in reception.
- Rucksack - 20 to 40 litres
- Hiking boots with ankle support (no trainers)
- Waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers
- Warm clothing - long trousers, fleece, warm hat and gloves (no jeans)
- Sun protection - sun cream, sunglasses, sun hat
- Water bottle - 2 litres
- Food - packed lunch and snacks
- Personal medication (asthma inhalers, etc.)
- Pocket money (optional)
- First aid kit
- Hiking map, compass and whistle
- Mobile phone
You can get closer to achieving the following awards and badges, by completing this activity:
- Silver Wanderrucksack: Gastereholz
- Gold Wanderrucksack: Alpetli
- Eco Award
- High Adventure Award
- Swiss Explorer Award
- KISC Challenge Award
More information about the awards and badges can be found here.
This hike can be even more enjoyable when learning about the environment around you. The self-guided booklet below can help you explore the Alps the eco way.