Take the bus to Selden, a steep mountain road which in itself is a fun adventure! From there, head further up the valley where you can enjoy views of Kandersteg’s snow-capped peaks and ancient glaciers. The rest of the day is a leisurely cruise downhill to the Centre.
This is only one of the recommended time suggestions. Times might change according to the weather and the group’s ability.
|08:30||Check equipment, and prepare to leave|
|08:50||Take a bus up to Selden at the upper part of Gasterntal|
|09:30||Start hiking up following Kander left bank. Stop in Heimritz and continue until the bridge at 1'724 m.|
|11:00||Start hiking back to Selden through Tangelwald (right Kander ban|
|12:00||Arrive back to Selden and have lunch|
|13:00||Hike down to Kandersteg. Stop in at Swiss mountain restaurant Waldhus|
|17:00||Arrive back to KISC|
If you wish to take the bus to Selden, you will need to book it in advance as it is likely to become fully booked. You can request the bus through the online form under the name ,,Bus to Selden". The bus price is as follows:
- Price Adult: CHF 12.50
- Price Child: CHF 8.50
Guest Cancellation: the guest cancellation policy for the bus can be found here.
- Before your departure, you need to fill in the Route Card
- Before departing, please check at Reception for the route conditions as they are reviewed regularly.
- Comfortable rucksack
- Boots with ankle support (no trainers)
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Water bottle (minimum 1 litre, 2 litres in hot weather)
- Warm clothing (long trousers, fleece, no jeans)
- Sun hat and a warm hat
- Special medication if needed
- Packed food
- First Aid Kit
- Hiking Map, Compass & Whistle
- Mobile Phone
By completing this activity, you can get closer to achieving the following Awards and Badges:
- Silver Wanderrucksack: Gastereholz
- Gold Wanderrucksack: Alpetli
This hike can be even more enjoyable when learning about the environment around you. The self-guided booklet below can help you explore the Alps the eco way.