- Has previously been a member of the staff team at KISC
- Needs to be at least 18 years old
- Is a member of an Association recognised by WOSM/WAGGGS
- Communicates in English
- Fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with one of the vaccinations recognised by Switzerland
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to work within an international team of volunteers
- Affinity for customer service and guest contact
- Good communication skills
- Positive attitude towards work
- Willingness to work according to a flexible schedule
- Has an active scouting life
- Experience in cleaning and/or cooking
- Experience in maintenance, repair or grounds work
- Experience in skiing and/or snowboarding
- Ensure a high quality of guest service at all times
- Prepare meals for guests and staff (including catering for special dietary requirements)
- Clean of guest and staff areas within the hygiene standards set out by KISC
- Assist maintenance on different projects
- Lead activities for KISC guests
- Assist in the planning and organisation of laundry
- Assist in organisation of special events and conferences
- Care for all staff working at the Centre
- Assist in other areas of the Centre where necessary
- Flexibility in working hours according to the needs of the Centre
Helpers provide great support for the Centre during the busy times or special events, working very closely with the Short Term Staff and Long Term Staff.
The line manager for this position is the Staff Development Director. Daily work is regularly supervised by Long Term Staff from different teams.
Helpers will have regular contact with other members of the Short and Long Term Staff team and it is essential to create a good working relationship and honest communication with them. Helpers must understand, respect and follow current KISC Staff rules and regulations during their entire stay.
- Accident Insurance (provided by the Centre): Everyone is insured for accidents, both work and non-work related while working at KISC. Dental treatment is only covered if the damage was caused by an accident.
- If you are accepted as a Helper, we strongly recommend that you arrange your own private travel insurance to cover sickness, routine dental treatment, travel to and from Kandersteg, and other cases/material that you consider important, as this is not provided by the Centre.
- Shared Accommodation with other Helpers
- All meals at the Centre, both while at work and on days off
- 1.5 days off per week when working for at least one full week
- up to 1 additional week at KISC with shared accommodation and food provided outside of the work period, unless the working period is less than 1 week. Helpers who work for less then 1 week, can stay at KISC for an additional period up to the same amount of time as their work period with all accommodation and food provided.
- Staff Night Out during the work period, a regular evening of programme organised by staff
- A special green “helper” scarf for 1 week of work or more. A Helper only ever receives 1 helper scarf regardless of how many times they have helped.
- Accident insurance both on days off and during work
- All bedding and towels, shampoo, soap and other basic toiletries
- Basic first aid items
- Laundry facilities
Unless a Helper has an agreed working period of more than 1 month, they are responsible for securing their own entry to Switzerland including Visas if necessary.
- If a helper would like to stay longer than the agreed amount of time (listed in Benefits), they must pay for accommodation and food at ex-staff prices. After this period they would also lose the benefits of being KISC Helpers.