Summer Short Term Staff 2020
- Needs to be at least 18 years old
- Is a member of an Association recognised by WOSM/WAGGGS
- Ability to communicate in English
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to work with an international team of volunteers
- Affinity for customer service and guest contact
- Good communication skills
- Positive attitude towards work
- Willingness to work according to a flexible schedule
- Has an active scouting life
- Experience in cleaning and/or cooking
- Experience with rock climbing and/or hiking
- Ability to lead activities
Ensure a high quality of guest service at all times
- Prepare meals for guests and staff (including catering for special dietary requirements)
- Clean guest and staff areas within the hygiene standards set out by KISC
- Work outdoors to maintain the camping ground and facilities
- Work in the Chalet shop
- Lead activities for KISC guests
- Assist in the planning and organisation of laundry
- Assist in organisation of special events
- Assist in the control and organisation of guest Recycling in all buildings
- Be “on duty” on a rotational basis, including helping guests outside working hours and assisting in the coordination of possible emergencies
- Deal with any guest enquiries relating to the Centre
- Care for all staff working at the Centre
- Participate in Short Term Staff training and development
- Assist in other areas of the Centre where necessary
- Involvement in the execution of the Centre’s Operational Plan
The position of the Short Term Staff is a key one, as without their intense work the Centre wouldn’t be able to serve over 12’000 guests yearly.
The line manager for this position is the Staff Development Director. Daily work is regularly supervised by Long Term Staff from different teams. The Short Term Staff has weekly meetings with the line manager to cover operational matters and also has regular one-on-one appraisals.
Short Term Staff will have regular contact with other members of the Short and Long Term Staff team and it is essential to building a good working relationship and honest communication with them.
- Accident Insurance (provided by the Centre): Everyone is insured for accidents, both work and non-work related while working at KISC. Dental treatment is only covered if the damage was caused by an accident.
- Private Liability Insurance (provided by the Centre): This insurance covers any damage caused by any staff on an object or person.
- If you are accepted as a Short Term Staff, we strongly recommend that you arrange your own private travel insurance to cover sickness, routine dental treatment, travel to and from Kandersteg, and other cases/material that you consider important, as this is not provided by the Centre.
- If you are from an EU member country and have a EHIC-European Health Insurance Card, you will be requested to pay on the spot and claim for a reimbursement once back in your country.
- Gaining new skills for professional and personal life in a multicultural environment
- A fantastic time in the mountains with like-minded people
- Accommodation at the Chalet in a room shared with at least 2 other members of Short Term Staff
- All meals at the Centre, both while at work and on days off
- 1.5 days off per week
- One to two weeks of staff training
- Administration of work permits
- Accident insurance both on days off and during work
- One Staff Night Out per week, a regular evening of programme organised by staff
- One Staff Day Out at the end of the season, a day of programme for all Staff as a thank you for the hard work during the season
- All bedding and towels, shampoo, soap and other basic toiletries
- Basic first aid items
- Laundry facilities
- 10 free overnights that can be used to host friends or family at the Centre while your season
- Working clothes
- Free Wifi at the Chalet
- Citizens of EU/EFTA countries do not need a visa, and the Centre secures the necessary work permit.
- For citizens of non EU/EFTA countries the visa process is more complicated but with a high chance of successful visa application. If you don't have a EU/EFTA passport, you have to be under 35 years old at the time of your work period, as that is the age limit for the visas we can receive. The Centre secures the necessary work permit.