Autumn Short Term Staff 2021
- Needs to be at least 18 years old
- Is a member of an Association recognised by WOSM/WAGGGS
- Communicates in English
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to work with an international team of volunteers
- Affinity for customer service and guest contact
- Good communication skills
- Positive attitude towards work
- Willingness to work according to a flexible schedule
- Has an active scouting life
- Experience in cleaning and/or cooking
- Experience in maintenance, repair or grounds work
- Ability to take a leading role and coordinate a team
- Ensure a high quality of guest service at all times
- Prepare meals for guests and staff (including catering for special dietary requirements)
- Clean guest and staff areas within the hygiene standards set out by KISC
- Work outdoors to prepare KISC camping ground for the summer season
- Assist maintenance on different projects
- Work with international teams of scouts coming to help KISC with seasonal tasks (Work Parties)
- Assist in the planning and organisation of laundry
- Assist in the control and organisation of guest Recycling in all buildings
- Be “on duty” on a rotational basis, including helping guests outside working hours and assisting in the coordination of possible emergencies
- Deal with any guest enquiries relating to the Centre
- Care for all staff working at the Centre
- Participate in Short Term Staff training and development
- Assist in other areas of the Centre where necessary
- Involve in the execution of the Centre’s Operational Plan
- Lead activities for KISC guests
- Assist in preparing for and running special events and conferences
The position of the Short Term Staff is a key one, as without their intense work the Centre wouldn’t be able to serve over 12’000 guests yearly.
The line manager for this position is the Staff Development Director. Daily work is regularly supervised by Long Term Staff from different teams. The Short Term Staff has weekly meetings with the line manager to cover operational matters and also has regular one-on-one appraisals.
Short Term Staff will have regular contact with other members of the Short and Long Term Staff team and it is essential to build a good working relationship and honest communication with them.
- Accident Insurance (provided by the Centre): Everyone is insured for accidents, both work and non-work related while working at KISC. Dental treatment is only covered if the damage was caused by an accident.
- Private Liability Insurance (provided by the Centre): This insurance covers any damage caused by any staff on an object or person.
- If you are accepted as a Short Term Staff, we strongly recommend that you arrange your own private travel insurance to cover sickness, routine dental treatment, travel to and from Kandersteg, and other cases/material that you consider important, as this is not provided by the Centre.
- If you are from an EU member country and have an EHIC-European Health Insurance Card, you will be requested to pay on the spot and claim for a reimbursement once back in your country.
- Find information as detailed here on our website
- Citizens of EU/EFTA countries do not need a visa, and the Centre secures the necessary work permit.
- For citizens of non EU/EFTA countries the visa process is more complicated but with a high chance of successful visa application. If you don't have a EU/EFTA passport, you have to be under 35 years old at the time of your work period, as that is the age limit for the visas we can receive. The Centre secures the necessary work permit.