Spring and Autumn
Spring and Autumn are "Low Season" here at Kandersteg International Scout Centre. We have fewer groups staying with us and fewer staff members available than in summer and winter. We are also more limited by weather, cable cars, etc.
Nevertheless, we have many activities which can be done in spring and Autumn!
There is one activity that only runs in Spring and autumn: The Leave no trace hike.
If there are many scouts on site, we will host the International Campfire, complete with a skit from the pinkies and a fire lighting ceremony. During times when we do not host an international campfire, smaller groups can buy firewood and host their own campfire. When groups of many nationalities are on site, we host an International Evening. For interested groups, we can host a flag break and a leaders' gathering.
If you are staying here in the quieter months and are interested in doing activities please contact the Programme staff and we will be able to advise you on what is possible.
Summer activities in spring and autumn
- Guided hiking, climbing and snow & ice activities are not available in spring and autumn.
- Unguided hikes are usually available from late spring to late autumn (May-November), depending on weather. Outside of these periods, the hiking paths around Kandersteg are mostly inaccessible because of snow.
- Activities in the "More Adventure" category are available from May to October.
- From the Water activities category, Rafting and tubing are available from May to September and canyoning is available from May to October.
- Mountain huts are usually closed all spring, but stay open in autumn while the wheather is good, or untill early october.
- From the local activities category, the sled run and rowing boats are available so long as the Oeschinensee cable car stays open. The swimming pool is not open in spring or autumn. Other activities are available year round.
Winter Activities in spring and autumn
- Guided skiing and snowboarding are not available in spring and autumn.
- We offer ski passes and equipment hire for unguided skiing so long as the ski resorts are open. They open when the snow settles, which can be anwhere from early November to late December. Elsigenalp tends to be the first resort to open in November. They then close on set dates: Kandersteg in mid-march, Adelboden, Elsigenalp and Lauchernalp in mid-April. Skiing is therefore possible in the first half of Spring, and in some cases in late autumn.
- Other Winter Activities are available in the first half of spring and late autumn, depending on snow conditions. Out of these, Winter Survival Experience, Valley Snowshoeing and Cross-Country Skiing are most often available.
- Ice skating is available all autumn and the first half of spring. Curling is available from October to March.
- Ice climbing and the Tatelishorn snowshoe tour are not available in spring and autumn.
International Friendship - Always Available
International Friendship is one of the main themes of our programme. Click on the image to find out more about International Friendship
However, be aware that as we have a limited number of staff in autumn and spring, only a limited number of guided activities can be booked at each time. Unguided activities can be done at any time.
Eco - Always available
Eco is another one of the main themese of our programme. Click on the image to find out more about Eco.
All unguided Eco activities are available at any time of the year.
Trails - Always available
Our numerous trails will take you around our campsite, the village of Kandersteg and nearby towns on short and simple explorations. Learn more about Switzerland, test your compass skills, or use your phone to solve the QR trail. Click on the image for more information about trails.
Note that the Orienteering is only available when the Oeschinensee cable car is in operation.
Our Challenge activities are mostly based around high ropes elements and will test your limits and team spirit! Click the image to find out more about challenge activities.
Always available: Team Building, Crate Stacking, Jacob's Ladder and Low Ropes
Zip Wire is available in early autumn (september) and late spring (May)
Beginners' abseiling is not available in spring and autumn.
Why not use one of your rest days to explore Switzerland using our Day Trips?
Note: Jungfraujoch & Eiger Trail is only available from late spring to early autumn. Other day trips are available at any time.
We have tickets for the four local cable cars for sale at the centre. The cable cars are closed during the following periods:
Oeschinensee: Late March to early May and late October to early December
Sunnbüel: March-May and November
Number Activities Max. People in Group Minimum Age Cost adult CHF Cost child CHF 76580 Astronomy None None Free Free Details 74870 Bern Trail None 10 Free Free Details 75380 Berner Oberland Regional Pass None 6 167.00 84.00 Details 75410 Blausee None None 1.00 1.00 Details None Blausee Hike 15 10 1.00 1.00 Details 75962 BP's Scouting Workshop 20 None 1.00 1.00 Details 74841 Brig Trail None None Free Free Details 75250 Chocolate & Cheese None None 80.00 80.00 Details 75408 Discounted Train Tickets Bern None None 45.00 23.00 Details 75402 Discounted Train Tickets Brig None None 38.00 20.00 Details 75400 Discounted Train Tickets Thun, Boltigen, Interlaken None None 38.00 20.00 Details None Do Eco Activities at Home None 8 Free Free Details 76560 Gemmipass Eco Hike None 10 Free Free Details None Gemmipass Hike 15 12 Free Free Details 74802 Geo-Caching None 10 Free Free Details 75984 Goose Game None None Free Free Details 76590 Green Chalet Trail None None Free Free Details 75055 High Ropes Park Interlaken 40 8 25.00 25.00 Details 74825 History Trail None None Free Free Details 74860 Interlaken Trail None 10 Free Free Details 75910 International Campfire 1000 None Free Free Details 75995 International Friendship Trail None None Free Free Details 74830 Kandersteg Trail None 8 Free Free Details 75940 Leaders' Gathering 100 None Free Free Details 75980 Messengers of Peace Workshop 20 10 1.00 1.00 Details 74880 Mini Golf None None 5.00 5.00 Details 74618 Multi-Crafts 40 None 8.00 8.00 Details 75456 Oeschinensee Gondola None None 14.40 7.20 Details 74880 Orienteering None 10 Free Free Details 74890 Photo Challenge None None Free Free Details 74891 QR Code Trail None None Free Free Details 75800 Sauna 20 None 5.00 5.00 Details 76520 Service Project 15 10 Free Free Details 75260 Stresa - Italy None None 105.00 105.00 Details 75446 Sunnbuel Cable Car None None 16.80 8.40 Details 75425 Thun Castle None None 5.00 2.00 Details 74850 Thun Trail None 10 Free Free Details None Village Museum None None Free Free Details None Winter Jungfraujoch None None 198.00 138.00 Details 75970 World Scout Workshop 20 None 1.00 1.00 Details
Year round activity Summer activity Winter activity