Rock 'N' Climb High School23.08.2009
So Pete gave me the huge task of keeping the spirit of Kandersteg burning on for him, so I guess I’ll give it a go. This has been a sad week having to say goodbye to many staff members who have come to the end of their time with us. So to cheer myself up I’ve spent the rest of my time doing lots of Rock Climbing, so I thought I’d give you all a quick guide to great rock climbing in and around Kandersteg!
1. Uschinenwall: probably the best spot in the area and is home to the second hardest mixed route in the world! Fun climbs on good rock with loads of routes to choose from. The only downside is it is a long walk from the Centre.
2. Winteregg: this is where we run our Climbing Courses. There’s a huge variety of climbs from really easy to really really REALLY hard. Something for everyone here and only a short cable car ride away!
3. Bire: this is great for those looking to rock climb all the way up a mountain. Whilst the climbing itself is not hugely interesting it is more than made up for by the amazing view and the feeling of achievement when standing on the summit. Make sure you abseil down though the path down is a nightmare!
4. Allmenalp Via Ferrata: ok, so it’s not strictly rock climbing but this is a great route up the side of a waterfall following a steel cable with ladders and pegs screwed into the rock. A great way to climb quickly without needing a rope!
5. Gallihorn: this is the next on my ‘to do’ list hopefully I’ll get to climb it sometime next week, it’s another big mountain route like Bire.
Matt's "Smile of the Week" picture has been inspired in the album art of "The Road to Escondido" by J.J. Cale and Eric Clapton.