Home and Dry12.08.2009
Hey Everyone! It's been a few weeks now since I've been "Smile of the Week", but better late than never!
This summer has been absolutely amazing so far - the experiences I'm having here at KISC are like nothing I've ever had before. Where else do you meet a group of 60 or so strangers from 27 different countries, and spend pretty much every waking moment with them for three months? Being a North-American, it's also an opportunity for me to pick up on the peculiarities of European life...
- Magnum is not a brand of ice cream in North America. Fact: it is amazing, and I am therefore addicted to it. I guess I will have to cut it out of my life cold turkey come September :( (yes to everyone, I have finally admitted I have a problem)
- Smarties actually exist in another part of the world! Finally, other nations have realized their superiority over M&M's.
- Trains are über cheap here, and run on electricity. Both foreign concepts to me.
- Businesses have reasonable opening hours - none of this open 24/7 stuff @ Kandersteg!
- Everything is close!! Paris is only 5 hours away on train, Bern is only 1.5. You can easily visit 5-7 countries in a single day here if you really squeezed it in! In Canada, it's a full day's car ride just to get to my nation's capital.
- The Swiss people are extremely friendly! Even complete strangers. They will gladly say hi and have a short exchange with you.
Being here in Switzerland this summer has given me the awesome opportunity to travel more than I have in the past 19 years of my life. However, I'm starting to feel like Kandersteg here is my temporary home. I'm always looking forward at the end of a journey to getting back to Kandersteg.
The concept of leaving Kandersteg in September is a scary thought! I'll be leaving a place I called home for three months along with all the other short-term staff that I've developed friendships with. But, fear not Kandersteg, in the words of Arnold... 'I'll be back'. The World Scout Jamboree 2011 in Sweden also sounds like an awesome opportunity to meet up with some Summer 2009 pinkies - we'll see what the future holds!
Summer Staff 2009
Alex's "Smile Of The Week" picture has been inspired on the album "A Funk Odyssey" by Jamiroquai.