Play with me!
Every once in a while it happens again: Yes, I’m smile of the week again! As usually I never know what to write! I wrote once about chopping down trees, once about renovation work, I even wrote once somebody else’s blog. It was about traditions and wigs!
Anyway, this time I would like to write about something completely different. On Sunday we played capture the flag here on our Campsite in the dark, and it went that well, that I would like to explain you how we did set it up:
What you need:
- 2 construction site lights (instead of flags as it is dark) Hint: You can ask a local building company to borrow them
- tape (e.g.: silver and yellow)
- red and white barrier tape
- enough people
- Terrain: Choose an area which is not just flat. Some hills, trees and natural obstacles will make the game more interesting. Use red and white barrier tape to mark off the area, as it is easy in the dark to get lost.
- Lights: Each team has to hide their light. The light can’t be berried or be hidden under something. The light can’t be hung on a tree (maximum height 1m). During the game the light can’t be moved anywhere else! If the light is in the hands of the enemy team and gets recaptured by the owning team the light can be moved, but only to the original spot.
- Players: Each player has one life symbolised by a piece of tape on its arm. If this piece of tape gets taken away by an enemy, this player is dead! To return to the game the dead player has to go back to a fixed point and get an other piece of tape. Now this player can join the game again! Hint: To make it a bit more interesting the tape can be folded over on both ends, so it is easier to grab it and pull it off!
- How to win: First of all the enemy’s light needs to be discovered and the captured. Then the light needs to be brought to a agreed spot. For both teams it is the same spot to make it a bit more interesting! When the light is at this final destination 50% of the players of the team which has captured the flag has to be there (e.g. group of 8: the player with the light + 4 other players of the team). This gives the owners of the light a chance to conquer their light back!
This is definitely a close contact game and injuries can happen! There are many more varieties possible, just use your imagination!
Enjoy playing and always remember: Play fair and hard!